“The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away;
blessed be the name of the Lord.” Job 1:21
- Thank you, Lord, for the blessing of four daughters. I bless your name, as we returned to Philadelphia last week, to visit the grave of my firstborn, Mary Catherine. I thank you for the precious gift of her life, of the witness we provided that the life of a tiny baby has infinite value and worth. I thank you for the amazing and unknown nurse who baptized her in the OR, when I was under anesthesia and Bobby wasn’t allowed in. I thank you for her beatitude in Heaven. I thank you for sustaining me through the early months of grief, and for blessing us with more children. Amen.
- Lord, I thank you for the chance to rest after a long week, when all the girls rested and let me rest on Friday afternoon.
- I am thankful for time in the car to talk with and listen to Gracie. I love hearing her “read” a story to her sisters (she knows The Very Hungry Caterpillar and How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? by heart). She makes up silly, sometimes elaborate, stories, then tells me she’s just kidding! Like her dad, you never know what ridiculous things she’ll come up with next.
- I am thankful for Cecilia’s sweet and infectious baby laugh. She laughs a lot, because everything amuses her. She is definitely my happiest, most fun baby yet!
- I am thankful for Theresa’s snuggliness early in the morning. Generally, she is independent and busy, but in the morning, and occasionally throughout the day, she gets affectionate and acts so very sweet.
- I am grateful for a special day with my husband on Saturday, as we attended a diocesan workshop for couples on Prayer and Communication. The talks and insights where very interesting, inspiring, challenging, and a few times, profound.
- I am grateful for my parents now living close enough to come spend the day with the kids on short notice, for continuing, beautiful warm weather, and sunny days.
- I am grateful for the chance to go apple picking with friends, and begin making all things apple!
- I am grateful for good books to read, making time for reading to myself, and to the girls, and for the opportunity to teach Gracie to read.
- Finally, I thank you Lord for the challenges, tension, waiting, and change of my life right now; through this time, please help me hear and discern Your will. Amen.